I tried to think of a clever title for today's post, but that's the best I could come up with!
For about a year, until I started my current job, I was in seriously good shape! I could comfortably wear size six clothes and I was in the range of 126-129 lbs. I'm 5'5", so that felt like a healthy, comfortable size for me. Most important though, I felt confident, so I wasn't constantly whining to Aaron about my flab. I did this mainly by eating a lot of grilled chicken and salad, and by going for walks/runs every evening in the summer. I love walking outdoors because I can set a physical landmark as a goal, I can take my dog with me, and I enjoy spending time with Aaron and friends. Unfortunately, when I started my current job, my physical activity ceased. I work in an environment where we are always eating. Burger King sausage biscuits at our weekly meetings, candy at the reception desk, reps are always bringing Panera bagels when they do training, and of course there is cake and ice cream roughly 45 times a year (employee birthdays). Now, I know I could always say NO to eating that garbage (and a lot of times I do!), but I also get no physical activity. I have two desks at work because I really have two jobs there. In the mornings, I am calling vendors and reps, working on newsletters and advertising, ordering products for clients, etc. I'm too busy in the mornings to get away from my desk. After lunch, the receptionist leaves for the day and I sit at the reception desk for the rest of the afternoon, billing and answering the phone. I am quite literally tied to the desk. I actually got "talked to" the other day for leaving the desk for 2 minutes to fill the mini fridge at the reception desk with bottled waters. I have been "talked to" for checking the mail (part of my job) and going to the bathroom, too. It's ridiculous. I've had 3 UTI's since I've worked there and the doctor who last treated me is actually one of our big clients and she said that she felt confident that the reason I keep getting them is because I'm not allowed to pee when I'm at work. How ridiculously unreasonable is that?! Anyway, not here to complain about work... back to fitness. The point is, I can't even walk away from my desk at work, so I'm sitting on my butt all day.
I hit my breaking point last weekend when I had to rubberband my favorite jeans. You know-- hook an elastic hair tie through the button hole and lasso the button with the other end-- like pregnant women do when they need to start buying maternity pants. And I had to get new dress pants for work because mine are too tight. Size 10. Double freakin digits! OH MY GOSH! I have been so upset about this. So, Aaron said we needed to budget a gym membership, so I had to wait and be fat all week.
Last night, I signed up at Planet Fitness. I was skeptical of that gym for a while because I didn't understand their commercials about their "judgement free zone". Basically, they don't want body builders or marathon runners beasting it and making everyone else feel like they'll be made fun of for walking on a treadmill (at least that's how I understood reading the policy last night). So, no weight banging, no grunting, no hogging equipment. Body builders and marathon runners can work out, but they want "normal" people and people who are currently overweight to feel comfortable getting into shape there. Good idea. This membership autodrafts $19.99 from our bank account on the 17th of every month, so I didn't pay anything last night. In June of every year, there is a $39 fee as well. It is still $55 LESS a MONTH than the Y! I joined the Y a couple of years ago, paid $150 signup fee and then $75/month and only went 3 times because I was embarrassed that I wasn't as in shape as everyone else and thought I would look stupid using the equipment. PF is open from 5am Monday until 9pm Friday night, 24 hours a day, and then 7a-7p Saturdays and Sundays. The hours are a lot better, and I can go before work or if I am feeling like it after dark. My membership also covers unlimited tanning and personal training sessions.
Today, I spent 5 minutes in a stand up tanning bed, which was my first experience with fake baking. FYI, I have absolutely no intentions of looking like George Hamilton! I just want to knock some of the paleness off my legs so I don't blind people when I wear shorts. And the girl who showed me how to use it told me no more than 5 minutes today because my skin is so fair. Really. I could pass for a Cullen. After that, I ran on the eliptical for 10 minutes and then did the 30 minute sculpting circuit, and then walked 15 minutes on the treadmill at an incline. Not much, but it's definitely a start. And I wasn't embarrassed.
I weighed myself at the gym, and I was 141 lbs. OH MY HEAVENS. So, my goal is to lose 15 lbs in whatever time it takes me. Must make my clothes fit again! I am only posting such a personal statistic to keep me accountable to those of you who read it.
I am also trying to eat healthier. I got Carnation instant breakfast shake mixes and fat free milk for breakfasts, weight loss oatmeal for lunches, and we'll get more gas for our grill and start back up with the salads and grilled chicken/pork chops. I'm vitamining it up, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment